2/28/15

Happy Birthday Daddy! - and Winner Announcement!

My dad would have been 76 today!

My mom and dad's senior portraits. 
My dad's mom, Granny Ella, my mom and dad, me and my 3 siblings, my children, and my oldest sister's 4 children went to the same school. Go Bulldogs!

  

My granddaddy was a barber for many years and this photo is of my dad shaving granddaddy with a straight razor! Uncle Flavel is there for moral support. :)


My dad when he was between 1 and 2 years old and his older sister, Aunt Zula Mae, with granddaddy and grandma.


My dad drove a semi for a living with a company out of Muscle Shoals, AL., Chem Haulers Trucking Company.  He loved his job but hated being away from his family for extended periods of time.  He saw all 48 contingent states before he was killed in his truck on February 19, 1970.  I had just previously turned 9 years old.

My dad was well loved by many friends.  I think I get my personality from him because I make friends easily.  The number of flowers at his graveside spoke of the number of friends that he had made through his life.  My grandmother made 2 quilts from the ribbons that adorned the flowers and she gave those to me and my older sister.  This is my quilt, which I treasure!



**************************

We have a winner for the Daysail Bundle that the Fat Quarter Shop so generously allowed me to give away to celebrate my wedding anniversay on the 15th!  If you have been thinking about ordering this fabric, I will tell you, do it!  I just received a fat quarter bundle of it and it is gorgeous!

 http://www.fatquartershop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Daysail

Who won???  Are you ready?  My husband chose a number from 1 through 157, the number of comments that were left, and he chose 67!  Comment #67 belongs to OhioLori!  I have already sent her an email to claim her winnings... if she does not reply by next weekend, we will draw someone else's name.

Congratulations Lori!


By the way... He actually chose a different number in the beginning.  and guess what... YEP... You were a No-Reply blogger so your winnings had to go to someone else!  If you are a no-reply blogger, please either edit your Blogger/Goggle profile and choose to have the email link show in your profile or leave your email address in your comments on blogs you comment on.  You can't win if we cannot contact you.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry about the loss of your Dad at such an early age... those pictures are precious. Love the ribbon quilt.... what a treasured memento!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos Thearica
    Congratulations to Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daddy reminds me of mine....such a good man! Love that quilt; it's a real treasure. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love stories like this. That ribbon quilt is beautiful. What a treasure. I am ready for the snow to go now though and spring to come on. I need some sunshine and warmer weather. Makes the days go by better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said about the no reply blogger...so frustrating trying to track down an email address at times even just to reply to a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful family photos....The lost of family is always so sad....That was such a beautiful thing for her to make the ribbons into quilts....What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your family photos. What a very precious ribbon quilt. Congrats to Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ribbon quilt is so touching. It puts into perspective how many flowers there were present. What a beloved man your dear father was. Thanks for sharing something so intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for these highly interesting tips, it is great to come across articles as interesting as yours! I wish you health, longevity, success, happiness and peace of heart.

    voyance gratuite mail
    voyance gratuitement

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog has a lot of friendliness and a warm welcome
    thank you very much

    voyance par mail gratuite

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my website =). We could have a hyperlink trade contract among us!
    voyance gratuite par mail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any advice you shared are adorable !!! Thank you.

    voyance par mail rapide

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing when you find a good content in today's internet.
    voyance gratuite mail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed, this achievement is a real wonder, thank you for this article in any case.

    Consultation voyance gratuite

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great placement is here when i saw that i am really so shocked and also i am very impressed with your post can you more share here i will back soon as soon possible.
    voyance gratuite par mail sérieuse

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. mobile truck repair

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is really great, I visit it every day and every time I find something that suits me. This blog has a lot of user-friendliness and a warm welcome.

    Voyance en ligne gratuite

    ReplyDelete

I ❤ your comments! They make my heart sing!

I have turned off the ability for anonymous users to comment on my blog due to spam. Registering for a google account is free and allows you to comment on any blog you wish. Be sure to have your email visible so bloggers can contact you should you win a giveaway they may be hosting. Or you can simply leave it in your comment.